I have written numerous Op-Eds for CNN, Washington Post, USA Today, NY Times, and others. Here is a list:
- This state has it right on voting in the age of Covid-19, CNN, May 5, 2020.
- The Media Can Play A Crucial Role In Preserving Democracy Amid COVID. Here’s How., Talking Points Memo, April 13, 2020 (with Adam Eichen)
- ‘Perversion of democracy’ underway in Frankfort as lawmakers continue to meet amid pandemic, Lexington Herald Leader, March 19, 2020.
- Coronavirus not stopping Democratic primaries — despite obvious health and turnout risks, NBC News, March 16, 2020.
- General Assembly is making mostly good moves on voting rights this session, Lexington Herald-Leader, March 5, 2020.
- Calm down, America. If election results aren’t instant, it doesn’t mean they’re ‘rigged’, USA Today, February 21, 2020.
- Give 16-year-olds the right to vote, Commonwealth Magazine, February 15, 2020 (with Adam Eichen).
- The great Iowa overreaction: It’s irresponsible to use delayed results to weave conspiracy theories about the integrity of an election, New York Daily News, February 4, 2020.
- Kentucky photo ID bill needs more work and should take effect after 2020 election, Louisville Courier-Journal, January 28, 2020.
- Kentucky’s proposed photo ID law would make it harder to vote, not stop fraud, Louisville Courier-Journal, January 9, 2020.
- Mitch McConnell Has to Condemn This Power Grab, CNN, November 8, 2019.
- A Tale of Two Election Law Standards, American Constitution Society, September 24, 2019.
- NYC, vote for ranked-choice elections: November ballot question would encourage more citizen participation and more civil campaigns, New York Daily News, September 19, 2019 (with Adam Eichen).
- North Carolina court steps up to defend democracy, CNN, September 4, 2019.
- John Roberts said we need to rely on states to solve gerrymandering. That’s not going so well., Washington Post, August 22, 2019.
- Democrats are using wrong method to narrow their choices for 2020, CNN, June 12, 2019 (with Dave Daley)
- Radicalizing the vote: 10 ideas that just might save democracy, Philadelphia Inquirer, May 2, 2019 (lead article in series).
- Supreme Court case could help pick 2024 election winners, CNN, April 22, 2019.
- HR 1 brings successful local, state reforms to the federal level and deserves passage, The Hill, April 18, 2019.
- Kentucky makes it too hard to vote. How to start fixing that and improving turnout, Lexington Herald-Leader, April 8, 2019.
- What’s Mitch McConnell So Afraid Of?, CNN, January 31, 2019.
- What Stacey Abrams Should Say About Brian Kemp’s Victory, CNN, November 19, 2018.
- Brian Kemp, if you’re running in an election, you shouldn’t be running the election, CNN, November 5, 2018.
- Yes, Kentucky, it really is worth the effort to make it easier to vote, Louisville Courier Journal, November 2, 2018.
- When states make it easier to vote, more people vote. Kentucky makes voting extra hard., Lexington Herald-Leader, October 31, 2018.
- Don’t worry, all is not lost. State and local activists are fixing our elections, Los Angeles Times, October 11, 2018.
- Here’s how newspapers could help you register to vote, Washington Post, September 18, 2018 (with Adam Eichen)
- Why are these elected officials so afraid of the voters?, CNN, August 9, 2018.
- Three reasons to (cautiously) celebrate Supreme Court on gerrymandering, CNN, June 18, 2018.
- Supreme Court takes a giant step backward on voter rights, CNN, June 11, 2018.
- Lexington Should Change How It Votes By Ranking Candidates, Lexington Herald-Leader, May 18, 2018.
- Politicians Are Gunning for this 1803 Precedent, CNN, April 11, 2018.
- Parkland Students Show Why 16-Year-Olds Should Be Able to Vote, CNN, Feb. 19, 2018.
- Spark Talk: Vote Yes: How Everyday Americans Are Taking Back Our Elections, Unrig The System Summit, Feb. 3, 2018 (video presentation).
- What’s the best way to fix our broken democracy? Lean on state courts and constitutions, Los Angeles Times, Jan. 23, 2018.
- Virginia is proof that every vote counts, CNN, Dec. 20, 2017.
- Dad jokes on Twitter shouldn’t disqualify a judge from the federal bench, Washington Post, Nov. 26, 2017.
- Is Secretary of State John Merrill violating election norms?, AL.com, Nov. 22, 2017.
- How Dems may use election wins to re-draw voter districts, Reuters, Nov. 8, 2017.
- It’s National Voter Registration Day. Do Your Part, Huffington Post, Sept. 26, 2017.
- How the Courts Put the Brakes on Texas Voter Discrimination, CNN, Sept 5, 2017.
- Why Legal Noncitizens Should Vote, Washington Post, Aug. 20 2017.
- Separate Facts, Myths on Voter Fraud in KY, Lexington Herald-Leader, July 31, 2017.
- Why New York Should Let Younger People Vote, N.Y. Daily News, July 26, 2017.
- Trump’s voter panel is scaring away voters, CNN, July 13, 2017.
- Seattle’s campaign-voucher system is good for democracy, Seattle Times, July 7, 2017.
- Demand for voter rolls shows ugly truth about Trump’s voter fraud commission, CNN, July 1, 2017.
- How SCOTUS Can Make Elections Fairer, CNN, June 19, 2017.
- Fighting for Voter Expansions, Not Just Fighting Against Voter Restrictions, ACS Blog, May 23, 2017.
- Donald Trump Voter Fraud Commission Ignores Real Problem, USA Today, May 18, 2017.
- The False Promise of Voter ID, Governing, March 31, 2017.
- Dishonesty from Both Parties on Gorsuch, CNN, March 28, 2017.
- Scalia Was No Fan of Voting Rights. Will Gorsuch Follow His Lead?, Huffington Post, March 21, 2017.
- To safeguard voting rights, go local, CNN, Feb. 17, 2017.
- Protecting the Right to Vote in the Trump Era: The Importance of State Courts, ACS Blog, Feb. 3, 2017.
- Trump’s voter fraud lies: the damage they do, CNN, Jan. 25, 2017.
- I’m appalled by Trump and I approve of what the Electoral College did, CNN, Dec. 19, 2016.
- Russia’s role is shocking but there’s no evidence the vote was hacked, CNN, Dec. 12, 2016.
- Dear Clinton Supporters: Recount Won’t Matter, CNN, Nov. 27, 2016.
- Judges, Keep the Polls Open on Election Day, CNN, Nov. 8, 2016.
- Expanding the Right to Vote, RegBlog (Penn Law School), Nov. 8, 2016.
- A Disputed Presidential Election Would Be a Mess, CNN, Nov. 4, 2016.
- Protecting the Right to Vote in Missouri, Louis Post-Dispatch, Nov. 1, 2016.
- The Good News on Voting and Democracy, USA Today, Oct. 23, 2016.
- Lower the Voting Age, San Francisco Examiner, Oct. 18, 2016.
- McConnell, denounce Trump’s ‘rigged election’ comments, CNN, Oct. 17, 2016.
- The Hurricane Canon for Election Law, ACS Blog, Oct. 13, 2016.
- How the Senate Could Safeguard the Election, CNN, Aug. 30, 2016.
- Take Politicians Out of Election Law, The Hill, Aug. 1, 2016.
- Recanvassing Elections Has Got to Go, Louisville Courier-Journal, June 1, 2016.
- How a Checklist Can Fix a Slew of Voting Problems, Reuters, May 2, 2016.
- What if Eight Justices Must Decide Election?, USA Today, Mar. 31, 2016 (originally published in Louisville Courier-Journal).
- How a New Justice Could Change Our Elections, Newsweek (first published on Prawfsblawg), Feb. 18, 2016.
- If You Don’t Like Gerrymanders, You Should Care About Shapiro, Washington Monthly, Nov. 12, 2015.
- Will State Courts Fill a Void on Voting Rights?, The Atlantic, Nov. 5, 2015.
- People Fought and Died So You Can Vote, So Do It, Lexington Herald-Leader, Nov. 2, 2015.
- Remembering Bill Crawford, Election Law Blog, Sept. 28, 2015.
- State Constitutions: The Next Frontier in Voting Rights Protection, American Constitution Society Blog, Aug. 6, 2015.
- What Actually Happens During a Kentucky Recanvassing?, UK College of Law Election Analysis Blog, May 27, 2015.
- The Kentucky Republican Gubernatorial Primary Goes Into Extra Innings: What Happens Next?, UK College of Law Election Analysis Blog, May 20, 2015 (with Thomas E. Travis).
- How Should Courts Police Election Laws?, The RightsCast (Interview with Professor Nancy Leong), Mar. 18, 2015.
- Kentucky Should Let Rand Run, Louisville Courier-Journal, Mar. 4, 2015.
- The Right to Vote Amendment is Worth At Least One Candle: A Reply to Heather Gerken, Election Law Blog, Feb. 25, 2015.
- Elections 2014: The Vote You Save May Be Your Own, N.Y. Times, Nov. 4, 2014 (with Edward B. Foley).
- UK Law Students Offer Free, Quick Analysis on Election-Law Issues, Lexington Herald-Leader, Nov. 4, 2014.
- State Courts May Be the Next Frontier for Protecting the Right to Vote, London School of Economics USApp, Nov. 3, 2014 (with Christopher K. Stewart).
- The Constitutional Right to a Secret Ballot, Louisville Courier-Journal, Oct. 15, 2014.
- The Supreme Court’s Last-Minute Voter Rulings Should Be About Access, Talking Points Memo, Oct. 10, 2014.
- What is a “Burden” on Voters? Reflections on Ohio’s Early Voting Litigation, Kentucky Law Journal Online, Sept. 28, 2014.
- Hypocrisy on Wisconsin Supreme Court: Why Voter ID Decision is Wrong, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, July 31, 2014.
- Corporations and Personhood: The Supreme Court’s Misguided Approach, com, July 11, 2014.
- Judicial Progress on Voter ID, Huffington Post, May 1, 2014.
- The Right to Vote: A State Right, Slate, Jan. 21, 2014.
- AG: When Voters Don’t Decide, Reuters, Nov. 18, 2013.
- The Supreme Court’s Conflicting Approach to Federal and State Regulation of Elections, Huffington Post, Oct. 8, 2013.
- Roberts: The ‘swing’ justice of election law, Reuters, Oct. 7, 2013 (appeared nationwide, including in the Chicago Tribune).
- A Silver Lining to the ‘States Rights’ Portion of Justice Scalia’s Opinion, Election Law Blog, June 18, 2013.
- One Voter’s Tale Tells It All, Cincinnati Enquirer, Nov. 12, 2012.
- Voter ID Laws Renew “Right to Vote” Appeal, Politico, Nov. 8. 2012.
- A Vote for “Election Week,” Reuters, Nov. 6, 2012.
- Discouraging Election Contests, Election Law @ Moritz, Nov. 6, 2012.
- Nonpartisan goal: Ensure All Voters Have Access to the Polls, Lexington Herald-Leader, Nov. 6, 2012.
- Hurricane Sandy, the 2012 Election, and Some Room for Compromise, Election Law @ Moritz, Oct. 30, 2012.
- Who Decides a Post-Election Dispute?, Election Law @ Moritz, Oct. 29, 2012.
- Why Florida Should Not Be the “Next Florida”: Fixing the Debacle in Palm Beach County,
Election Law @ Moritz, Oct. 24, 2012.
- The Soundness of the Equal Protection Holding in the Ohio Early Voting Decision, Election Law @ Moritz, Oct. 8, 2012.
- Sanctioning Disenfranchisement, At Least for One Election, Election Law Blog, August 28, 2012.
- State Constitutions: A New Battleground in Voting Rights, JURIST – Forum, April 3, 2012.
- Redistricting Can Be Partisan But Legal; Independent Better, Lexington Herald-Leader, Jan. 31, 2012.
- Campaign Finance After Two Years of Citizens United, JURIST – Forum, Jan. 21, 2012.
- Rahm Emanuel and Procedural Fairness, Election Law @ Moritz, Jan. 27, 2011.
- Ohio Provisional Ballots: Do Two Wrongs Make a Right?, Election Law @ Moritz, Jan. 17, 2011.
- Revering America’s Political Spirit, Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer (KY), Nov. 2, 2010, at A5.